ShakeSphere 2024 Call for Artists!
This is a call for Shakespeare related performance work, from the world theatre community.
European Shakespeare Festivals Network (ESFN) is delighted to announce the call for the third Shakesphere programme, following the successful presentations of:
- Romeo and Juliet and other catastrophic love affairs, dir. Rolf Alme (Norway)-2022
- The Tragedy of Macbeth, dir. Henry Maynard (UK)–2023
which were selected from a wide range of international proposals.
The ESFN (European Shakespeare Festivals Network) brings together the key festivals across Europe who present Shakespeare from an international perspective.Our mission is to encourage collaboration across the various festivals, and to develop new opportunities and possibilities for theatre and performance makers who want to work with Shakespeare..
The ESFN are delighted to announce a competition call for a small-scale production which will be invited to the member festivals during 2024.
This is a world-wide call to find the most exciting and innovative international work.
- The production can be a reworking of a Shakespeare text or a piece derived from Shakespeare’s plays.
- It must be around 60-80 minutes in length.
- There must be a maximum of 5 in the total touring company and at least 2 actors – this is not a call for a solo show.
- There should be no touring set, basic elements such as chairs or stage blocks, can be provided by the festivals, and all props and costumes should be able to travel with the actors as standard luggage in no more than 2 normal suitcases.
The ESFN will offer performances at least four member festivals:
In 2023 the participating festivals were:
York International Shakespeare Festival (UK) 19th-28th April 2024
Shakespeare Festival in Neuss (Germany) 4th-25th May 2024
Craiova International Shakespeare Festival (Romania) 16th-26th May 2024
Gdańsk Shakespeare Festival (Poland) 26th July-4th August 2024
Who will all be participating again in 2024 and in addition other member festivals may choose to programme the selected work.
To apply, you must be available to perform at all four of the festivals above
You can find out more information about all the festivals, and their dates at www.esfn.eu
All festivals will pay the chosen company that festival’s regular performance fee for all performances given – and in addition will provide accommodation and some local transport. Once the chosen performance is announced, there will be an opportunity to discuss these conditions with each festival, and to confirm the fee and other details. Depending upon where the chosen company is travelling from, each festival will work with the company to fund international travel. Where the chosen company is travelling from outside Europe,we are confident that as the winners of such a prestigious competition it will be possible to obtain travel support from national or international sources, and the ESFN will assist this in whatever way is most helpful.
As well, all the festivals will look to add value to the visit of the artists through supporting additional days in residence, meetings with other artists, tickets to performances etc.
The schedule is as follows: The call for applications is open until midnight on October 31, 2023, and we will announce the successful production by December 2023.
To apply is simple. We need two documents and a short video
You should send
- a cv of your company and your previous achievements,
- a one page statement of your idea for this performance.
These two documents are critical as this is what all the judges may see. These two documents should be in English.
In your statement you must confirm that you are available and able to perform at all four of the festivals who are currently participating.
If you would prefer to send a video of your one-page statement, then this must be no longer than 3 minutes. We do require your cv as a written document.
- As well we ask you to send a two minute video in English, of you speaking to camera about your piece. If it’s a new piece, this is where you can tell us about your plans, if it’s an existing production then tell us about making it and what you’re looking to achieve. You can film this on a phone – we are not assessing video quality, nor are we going to assess the quality of your English presentation. We want to use this to find out a little more about you and how we might work with you in partnership.
In addition, you can send as much supporting material as you wish, links to online material, photographs, and links to films of previous productions etc, and this will also be available to the judges should they wish to see it. This material can be in any language – it would be helpful if you could label them in English, but not essential.
IMPORTANT: please do not send any videos as attachments. Links only !
We will then shortlist a number of applications, and will arrange for short conference calls on zoom with those applicants, and with some or all of the participating festivals. After that a final project will be selected.
Applications should be sent by email to email@example.com and submissions will be accepted until midnight Central European time on Tuesday October 31, 2023.
ESFN will announce succesfull production by December 2023
In case of any questions regarding call contact : firstname.lastname@example.org
The Judges decision is final, and we are unable to discuss any unsuccessful submissions with the applicants. Individual festivals may choose to contact artists with whom they would like to have further contact, but this will be outside the remit of this competition.
You can download call here ESFN Shakesphere call 2024.docx